Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Simon Armitage is beautiful. I guess I'm ugly.

Adelaide Writers' Week was on from 5-10 March this year, and it offered a feast of literary greats and their produce!

For me, one of the highlights was listening to UK poet Simon Armitage read his poetry and discuss aspects of poetry writing (in a panel discussion along with local poet Peter Goldsworthy and others).

The first poem he read was The Shout. The one that captured everyone's attention, however, was You're Beautiful.

Several times he was asked to re-read it but he refused, saying that he'd already read it and it was now floating in the atmosphere around us... Rather charming.

Now I'm hooked on his poetry. I managed to get hold of a copy of his Selected Poems (and he signed it).

And what was rather unusual for a poet, his books sold out at the event! There's hope for us poets yet!

I've found You're Beautiful on the web (click here). Simon is reciting it and the lyrics are there too. I hope the link stays active.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home